You Are Here: SAP DB > 7.3 > History
SAP DB is now SAP MaxDB! For more information, visit the SAP MaxDB pages in the SAP Developer Network.
SAP DB History
- Research project at Technical University of Berlin
- Topic "Distributed databases on mini-computers"
- Industry partner: Nixdorf Computer AG
- SQL DBMS product development at Nixdorf Computer AG
- Product name "DDB/4"
- Shipped on Unix platforms (Targon systems)
- About 2000 installations
- Technology licensed by Cincom and re-branded as "Supra 2"
- Spin-off of the DDB/4 development team as a subsidiary
- Takeover of Nixdorf Computer AG by Siemens AG
- Subsidiary of Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG
- Technology licensed by Software AG and re-branded
- License agreement with SAP AG
- SAP R/3 available on SAP DB's predecessor
- About 800 installations in combination with SAP R/3
- Installed database customer base gets serviced by SAP AG
- SAP AG resells database under the name "SAP DB"
- Forked development of the database code
- Members of the development team join SAP AG
- Substantial investment in new functional releases of SAP DB
- Object data management added to SAP DB
- Used in SAPs SCM product APO (liveCache technology)
- SAP DB becomes DBMS option for all mySAP components
- SAP DB is part of SAP Content Server (document management)
- SAP DB goes Open Source under GNU public license (GPL)
- To create a user community outside of SAP applications
- To foster competition in the DBMS market
- To gain feedback through the open source community to improve SAP DB
- SAP is continuing its substantial investment in SAP DB technology